USDA-NIFA Capacity Funding

Information about federal capacity funding for research and related forms

Capacity Funding for Land Grant Institution Research

Research scientists working as part of a land-grant institution in the U.S., including Texas A&M AgriLife Research, are eligible to compete for capacity funding through the U.S. Department of Agriculture National Institute of Food and Agriculture, USDA-NIFA.

    Capacity funding programs

    AgriLife Research faculty qualify for four types of USDA-NIFA capacity funding.


    This funding is based on a five-year plan of work that serves as the umbrella for a faculty member’s full research portfolio. The plan of work aims to fulfill provisions of the Hatch Act of 1887, funding agricultural research at State Agricultural Experiment Stations, SAE.


    This is similar to Hatch funding with the additional requirement of including participants from qualifying institutions in other states to solve mutual challenges.

    McIntire Stennis capacity grant

    The purpose of this funding is to increase forestry research in the production, utilization, and protection of forestland; to train future forestry scientists; and to involve other disciplines in forestry research.

    Animal Health and Disease Research

    The purpose of this funding is to promote animal health research at accredited state veterinary schools or colleges or agricultural experiment stations.

    Capacity funding travel and compliance

    Faculty and staff traveling as part of a USDA-NIFA capacity funding project must fill out a specific travel form for reimbursement and record-keeping. Download the form, or, for other travel provisions from Texas A&M AgriLife, visit the administrative services office.